Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fractals theory, bus stops and brownies

My New Year's resolution is to relax. It's more complex than it sounds.

Part of it is organizing my life in such a way that it is possible to relax. That means fewer feverish last-minute papers for grad school, no more surprise deadlines popping up without being noticed, less procrastinating and more thinking: planning ahead and tuning in to what I'm doing in the moment as it relates to what I was hoping to be doing in the moments yet to come.

My Personal Principal and Voice of Reason told me about fractals theory - how the shape of each individual day ultimately determines the shape of your life as a whole.

If that is the case, I hesitate to wonder exactly which shapes my life would reflect... the shape of me pounding the pavement toward the bus stop at 6: 30 in the morning, bag bouncing, breathing heavy? The shape of frantically searching for things I have misplaced? The shape of drinking alone?

I prefer to think that ultimately my life will have a calmer, friendlier form: baking brownies for birthdays; coffee in coffee shops; Bloody Mary's over brunch; training for triathlons.

I hope my final life-shape learns how to relax.


No comments:

Post a Comment