Thursday, August 26, 2010

Whiskers on roses and raindrops on kittens

I just had another school dream but one of a completely different kind -- I was back in high school, only I knew then what I know now. The annoying upshit ( -- haha I meant upshot, but upshit works too) is that the first four measures of "My Favorite Things" is stuck on repeat inside my head. augh!

Anyway, my 25-year old high school self still sucked at the trumpet, but didn't try to hide it. In fact, on my way out I gave the band director some constructive criticism on how he could adjust his teaching style to better support me as a musician. I tried out for the spring musical (hence the raindrops on roses --at this point in my internal refrain I think the roses are pretty much drowning), but it was on a whim and I wasn't scared, and I hadn't invested a whole lot of my identity into the result of the audition. I rolled my eyes at my soporific AP English teacher and sassed back when reprimanded, declaring that I hadn't known eye-rolling was against the rules.

If I had kept dreaming, I would've let my biology teacher know that text books really don't work for me as a learner and that's why I didn't do the reading, and had he considered some other ways of addressing different learning styles? And I would've taken woodshop (or metal shop or whatever it was we had down there) and chatted up all the delinquents who were also taking it to find out what's inside their heads, and I would've cut class a lot more and worried a lot less, and not lost sleep over unfinished homework.

Anyway, it was a very satisfying dream, and I feel like there's a message in it for me somewhere.

Possibly in the sense of taking the advice I'd give to my former self and applying it to my life now - hey self, RELAX! ENJOY! Don't worry so much, because it all turns out fine!

I've always taken myself pretty seriously, and as I learned from hanging out with my favorite uncle, am the daughter of "accomplishment junkies" which pretty much makes me one, too, by heredity. But I think I can accomplish things and be laid back about it, too. At least, it's something to strive for.

Now, it's plenty easy to be relaxed in August. The demands of my job are at their weakest, just whispers and intimations, vague notions of a more troubled time, when there are other concerns besides where I could go swimming today, and what type of new bicycle I should buy and when, and did I drink too much wine last night?

The trick will be maintaining my cool Dude-like attitude when reality crashes down like a worn-out refrigerator pitched over a cliff for disposal. Smash!

For the moment, though, I will take the time to bask in the glow of the best part of the school year: right before it starts. Everything is rosily colored by anticipation and unbounded potential. Right now, I am convinced I will have the energy to do all the things the Rafe Esquith and Esme Codell in me want to do... Another pep rally, but with superheroes! Roof garden! Recess! Better field trips! Cooking projects to help with fractions! And also I will have a social life! And extra-curriculars! And enough sleep! This year, of course, I will finally be Jaime Escalante! I will be Michelle Pfeifer in a fictionalized and simplified version of reality, I will know what is right and what is wrong, and I will only do what is right!

This year I will not lose my temper. This will be the year when I finally get organized. This year my Teaching Points will be standing at attention in their ready positions on the Flow of the Day. This year my students will be quiet in the halls. This year I will not die of public humiliation by forgetting how to do long division while teaching it to the class. This year I will not come to school grumpy and sleep-deprived, and just a liiitle too amped up on Dunkin Donuts coffee. This year I will not work through lunch. This year I will not forget my lunch, or eat meals out of the vending machine, or have to beg food from my friends. This year my conference notes will be pristine. This year will be planned ahead of time and paperwork will not be overdue. This year I will not lose anyone...

The beginning of the year is sharpened pencils, crisp folders, fresh paint and newly waxed floors. Blank empty notebooks ready to bear the burden of knowledge...

Now part of me knows that those marble notebooks can't stay empty or clean, it's simply not in the nature of education. Superimposed on top of my mental image of fresh notebooks with military-sharp corners and pages all lined up in formation is another notebook: the end of the year notebook. The dog-eared notebook that has been scribbled upon with sharpie and ball-point pen, that has been lost and found and lost again, that is missing a cover and the other is ripped, exposing cheap brown cardboard underneath that black-and-white marble, and with papers falling out and someone else's science notes hastily mixed in and maybe used bubble gum wadded up in there somewhere...

I know the chewed up end-of-the-year notebook exists, is inevitable. I know there will be wasted efforts and forgotten ideas, horrendous mistakes, broken promises, bad days. But it is part of the function of the summer, and my duty as a teacher, to forget all that. If I didn't I'd never be able to face it all again.

1 comment:

  1. This made me think of one of my favorite quotes, from the movie Almost Famous. "Don't worry! I've seen the future, and this all turns out reasonably well."

    ReplyDelete