Sunday, December 4, 2011

Back

It's kind of a miracle, when you think about it, how kids learn.  I just did the second round of reading tests for the year, and I still find it incredible that somehow, kids can read words they couldn't read two months ago, that somehow they understand parts of stories that had eluded them the first time around.

Part of the miracle is not being sure exactly how it happens... I know I follow a curriculum that is supposed to have been researched and lab site-tested and ensures that kids will learn how to read... and yet I can't help feeling that the kids hear me the way Charlie Brown hears adults in his world:  "Wah wah wah wah wah wee wah."

But somewhere along the lines, stuff sunk in! Somehow my voice managed to ooze into the cracks in their consciousness and there they are, mirroring things I've said like little parakeets.

***

In case you're wondering, I'm having the best year yet.  According to Malcolm Gladwell, it takes about 10,000 hours to become completely proficient at something, and according to my calculations I recently reached that mark.

I did not heed my own advice and I acquiesced when MoLo asked if I would work after school this year.  But after a couple of months of constant low grade exhaustion, I heard my inner Buddha's voice telling me to resign, and so I drummed up my courage and did it... and MoLo's reaction couldn't have been more positive.  She said it demonstrated leadership qualities to be able to recognize where your priorities are and that you always have to put your kids first.

So now I'm hoping to use my extra 4-6 hours a week to get back to the blog.  And I'm also starting a girls volleyball team which has been a dream of mine!

1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh! Looks like someone just ante'd up in the blogging game!

    ReplyDelete