Wednesday, May 12, 2010

the bad old days

Yesterday as we were in MoLo's office, Corky mentioned the positive changes that have happened in school since MoLo has come, and it's the truth. When I first came, we were teaching literacy in a totally back-asswards way that made no sense, especially not to a brand new teacher with no teaching experience and no one explaining WTF she was supposed to be doing all day. Not only that, but P.S. 00 was absolutely ruled by a culture of fear - I can attest to this. MoLo said that the legacy left by the previous assistant principal was such that teachers would come to the post-observation meetings and start crying, before she's ever even said anything.

My first post-ob made me cry, too, though I think I managed to hold it together in front of the administration, but I did break down in front of the kids (I clearly remember little Johnny saying, "Mr. P made you cry?"). Peeves had forgotten he'd hired me, thinking I was a long-term sub. By the time he realized I was on the payroll and he had to come and do an observation, the school year was almost over and I was spending the bulk of each day peeling small children off the walls and going home each day to have daily mental meltdowns, with many a tearful phone call to my aunt to save my sanity ... not a whole lot of teaching going on. I'm be the first to admit, I was being eaten alive.

And when I got into "His" office to discuss what he had observed (after setting foot in my classroom for the first time in the six months I'd been there), I was told that my students were the lowest class in the entire school and why was that? and he took me to a string of kindergarten classrooms and said, "Look! Even KINdergarteners can sit still for Reader's Workshop," and led me from kindergarten to kindergarten of quiet, well-behaved children, as if to say, what's the matter with you? It's really simple, everyone else can do it, why can't you?... Why is your room such a zoo?

I have never before or since felt so small or worthless or such like a failure.

A long litany of shortcomings of my lesson and my classroom management were discussed. But what was never said was HOW to make them sit still, WHAT I had to DO to be able to teach.

But MoLo came, and quietly, slowly, things started changing.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment