Monday, May 31, 2010

the end is not nigh enough

My posts have been dwindling, along with my general interest in anything and everything school related. The hot weather comes and all I’m interested in is barbecues and swimming pools and watering holes.

Spent memorial day weekend with my cousins and it felt like summer already. Softball game: check, parade: check, pool: check, barbecue: check and check… I thought to myself, cool, what are we doing tomorrow? And then I was forced to remind myself that I will be at work tomorrow.

Now, it’s not so bad because tomorrow is our field trip to my alma mater, NYU, and Wednesday is the carnival, plus graduation practice takes up a period every day until the last week of June.

I just think that if the month of June were, for some reason, cancelled… the kids really wouldn’t be missing much. Especially now that it’s getting hot and the AC is broken it feels like we’re just running out the clock. We show up, we go through the motions, but especially now that the all-important Standardized Tests are done, it’s hard to feel like what we’re doing matters. I mean, of course it matters, in an inspiring the youth of America kind of way. But the last few weeks stretch like taffy. The end is near, but not near enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment