Admin's tactics also don't mesh with mine. To quote my AP, Principal Peeves "blasted" A-- when it was his turn in the hot seat, so much so that he was shaking. I'm not saying A-- isn't a ring leader, and I'm not saying he didn't need an attitude adjustment. But I've seen Peevey in action, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially not one of my own.
I don't believe in lying to children to scare them -- telling them that N--'s new school is terrible, and the teachers there are mean, so they'd better straighten out. I don't believe in telling them there are cameras where there are not. I don't believe in calling children "bad," even if they aren't listening. I don't believe that "blasting" children helps them grow or turn into better human beings. But if anyone was wondering where the culture of fear and distrust in our school comes from, you don't have to look to hard to find an answer.
But what do you do? I don't feel I have any power over this situation. N-- was taken from me, I think unfairly. But to fight for N-- would be a losing battle, and would cost me and the rest of my students more than I stand to gain.
I stood by C-- when it was her turn to be persecuted because she was truly innocent, and her persecution was also brought about by my bookeeping errors. But I think it's already too late for N--. After stealing the cupcake from the bake sale and getting in the fight and being late to school 41 times, he didn't stand much of a chance. Not even his test scores could protect him.
In the jaded yet frank words of Ms. K, "You can't save them all."
And in the even more jaded and glib words of another colleague, "At least it lowers your head count, right?"
No comments:
Post a Comment