Today, the first clerical half day, I found myself cankle-deep in unfinished cumulative records and other paperwork that had to be finished TOday, only up the the D's in alphabetical order, with time ticking down before I had to leave before my (5-hour) class.
"I think I'm in trouble," I said to Henrietta as I passed her in the hallway.
And, minutes later, no questions asked, she, Corky and Rosie were assembly-lining through my stack of folders like they were on a mission. Even though they had spent the entire afternoon on their own tedious paperwork (just at a more efficient rate)... In no time, the deed was done. I was stacked, sorted, alphabetized and color-coded, and had just enough time to print my paper and make the train up to Harlem.
I wonder when I might get to a point in my career when I don't have to be bailed out with some time-sensitve, overwhelming task that has me totally marooned... but until then, I am absolutely wordlessly, bottomlessly, inexpressibly grateful for what they did, and what I know they would be willing to do for any one of us, any number of times should the need arise.
You must BE a good friend, to have such good friends!
ReplyDelete