Saturday, September 11, 2010

hope v. heartbreak

There's this new advertising campaign around the city for the Red Cross, "Turn Heartbreak into Hope." At first I didn't totally understand what they meant, but I guess they are referring to all the disaster relief stuff they do.

As I was on my way to meet up with Henrietta to go to the teacher store, I got to thinking about this thing we call hope. What is it exactly?

It's a very human concept. A fundamental instinct of self-preservation. We believe in hope because to cease to believe in it would equal certain annihilation.

A cynic would say that hope is often delusion. Then again, I have also heard that nothing good has ever happened that didn't start with a dream.

Hope is not naive, but necessary. It is the beacon, the green light across the water, the improbable bloom in the darkened window sill.

If we can seek out and find just one particle of this hope, then we can keep going. Despite everything against us, we can keep going if we believe that one day, we could get it right. One day it might all be the way it was supposed to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment